Basil: 10 Tasty Things
So, how's your basil doing? Got lots? Here are some suggestions for using a plethora of basil leaves. Hint: don't try to slice basil leaves with a knife. We keep a designated pair of scissors in the kitchen for slicing fresh herbs.
- Slice basil leaves into a tossed salad. Be generous!
- Make a simple salad of cherry tomatoes, chunks of fresh mozzarella cheese and whole basil leaves. Drizzle with an Italian or vinaigrette dressing.
- Put a layer of basil leaves on a burger or your favorite sandwich.
- Dice red and yellow heirloom tomatoes. Slice Sweet basil and Amethyst basil and add to tomatoes. Toss gently and dress with balsamic vinegar.
- Add sliced basil to chicken or tuna salad.
- Slice or chop basil and add to scrambled eggs.
- Add chopped basil to meatloaf. Use lots!
- Make a fresh pasta sauce by adding fresh tomatoes, grated mozzarella and whole basil leaves to a blender. Turn the blender on and slowly add olive oil until the mixture thickens a bit. Add to hot cooked pasta. This is a great way to use cherry tomatoes, if you are swamped with them!
- Add Amethyst basil to warm, not hot, white vinegar and let steep for a few days. Or add Sweet basil and garlic cloves to warm apple cider vinegar. Directions for herbal vinegars are here.
- Like some spark in your pesto? Try making it with Lime basil, which has a bit of heat. And Amethyst basil makes an unusual pink pesto! Pesto directions and recipes are Here.
Shopping Library Home
202 Bean Street Turner,
We'd Love to Hear From You!